Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:22:20 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> We're moving toward a future where Emacs.git will represent "core
> Emacs", and only contain what core needs (plus a few historical bits,
> I'm sure). There should be no argument for keeping a project in core
> just to gain auxiliary benefits.

I'm massively unenthusiastic about this future.  Things in ELPA has to
be backwards-and-forwards compatible with a wide Emacs version range,
which makes maintaining things much more work.  When you develop things
in "Emacs core", you have one specific target and can make large
internal changes without these considerations.

Emacs doesn't seem to have a massive surfeit of developers, so I wonder
where this plan comes from.