Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 18:38:41 -0500

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 16:59:25 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>> the reality is that there is a vast majority of free software
>> advocates that uses websites without concern for the Javascript
>> licenses.

RS> That is why it is vital for the FSF to spread the message that this
RS> is a bad thing to do.  In order to do that without being hypocritical,
RS> we have to set an example of doing what we say is right.
RS> Developing GNU Emacs is a part of the GNU Project.
RS> Winning freedom, defeating proprietary injustice, is its purpose.
RS> That's why I wrote GNU Emacs in the first place.

RS> You don't seem to value this purpose very much, so you resent that it
RS> is the basis for our decisions.  But that has to be the basis.

Your implicit assumption here is that if any part of a service involves
nonfree software (in this case, Docker Hub account registration and
maintenance), then using any other part of the service (in this case,
Docker Hub as an image repository) is against this purpose.

That specific assumption, in my opinion, is overreaching and does not
serve the original purpose you quoted, yet it has become an important
argument for the FSF.

Ted