Re: html, css, and js modes working together

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: html, css, and js modes working together
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 13:25:09 -0700

>>> I guess my view is that it is always ok to make things in-tree work
>>> better with each other, even at the expense of some code that is
>>> out-of-tree and presumably relying on implementation details to do its
>>> work.

Stefan> What Dmitry is saying is that it's OK to define an ad-hoc multi-mode for
Stefan> html+css+js (after all, they're all part of the HTML standard, oh and we
Stefan> should also add SVG in there), but it should be structured as a separate
Stefan> mode on top of html-mode, css-mode, and js-mode.

I think there are two things going on here.

One is the structure of the code.  I think it's fine to structure things
so that outside code can continue to reuse miscellaneous bits of the
various modes.  I mean, I think it's a pain since there's nothing
in-tree indicating what can or cannot be done; but assuming someone can
review patches, then it'll be ok.

The other thing is what the user sees.  I think it would be bad to tell
users that to get full html support, including support for embedded js
and css, they must do anything at all -- the default mode ought to
support this.

It's not clear to me if you mean you disagree with the second thing.

Tom