Re: [elpa] master 550ae83 1/2: [gnugo int] Decruft: Don't declare hook a

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 550ae83 1/2: [gnugo int] Decruft: Don't declare hook and keymap vars.
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 13:02:22 -0500

>  (defvar MODE-map INIT)                   ; model C
>  (define-derived-mode MODE ...)

This is the idiomatic form.

The main benefit is that there's a clear place where the mode map is
defined and `C-h o` will get you there.

> The comment in the removed INIT in the patch (in Subject) shows
> some of the hand-wringing involved w/ the B-C transition.  What

The only thing I see in that comment is that you see something ugly, and
that maybe this aesthetic problem is due to the use forward references.

So, is it fair to say that the reason for the patch was to avoid those
forward references?

>  (unless EXPECTED-MODE-map-BINDING

Of course, this misfires if the user wants to change this
EXPECTED-MODE-map-BINDING binding ;-)

        Stefan