Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 16:05:13 +0900 (JST)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

If this is about searching the Gmane newsgroup, that's no longer
supported.

I have a question: When I know there was a thread in emacs-dev, say, 1
year ago, that I want to revive, is there any way better than fetching
the last N thousands of messages from the server (/ o) and using text
search?

How do others do this?  Is everybody cultivating his own private archive
of emacs-devel?
You can use `eww' to get the message-id:
I)
M-x: eww https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/ RET
;; Do a search of some words related with the topic you are looking for.
;; For instance,
Search emacs-devel using gnus

;; Let's pick up the first result:
M-x eww-view-source RET
;; Go to beginning of buffer.  You can get the Message-id and
;; several cross reference.

II)
Now, you can call `gnus-summary-goto-article' with first arg
the message ID in I).

j MESSAGE-ID RET

For short threads is OK, but for long threads,
sometimes is time consuming to get the right message id.