Re: Elisp printer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elisp printer
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 21:38:54 -0500

> I noticed that pp.el doesn't handle the #<...> print syntax very well.

Which ones in particular have you noticed (it's used in different ways:
some are very old some are more recent (e.g. new in cl-print), some are
very simple, others more complex, ...)?

> I asked myself whether for the purpose of font-lock, indenting, moving
> by parens etc - it would make sense to switch to a print syntax that is
> `read'able (pseudo) Lisp so that we could just use Emacs-Lisp mode to
> present/work with the print results?  I think that could simplify the
> work with the new printer.

We could use a syntax more like that of structs, i.e. something of the
form #s(...).  For those objects which really aren't structs at all, we
could use a similar notation with another letter (e.g. #f(...) for
function objects such as advice thingies)?

        Stefan