Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 37b88d7: Fix bug#23006

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 37b88d7: Fix bug#23006
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:44:22 +0200

On 10.03.2017 12:36, Michael Albinus wrote:

...which is non-essential.

I don't understand. What do you mean?

Like Stefan said, non-essential completion is one that happens "like in a background thread", or on idle timer, etc.

Which normally means "don't ask for password", but could also mean "don't try too hard generate completions too hard", e.g. in case there are multiple available algorithms, with different precision/time tradeoffs.

We've been over this many times,

Yes, and nobody has contributed an alternative solution to what I have
proposed.

You are solving a problem which I don't really understand and probably never encountered (the syntax ambiguity of some sort).

On the other hand, the issue in company-mode which you visited and commented on discussed a problem that concerns actual users.

and the "other use of this variable"
is now present in company-mode and Ido.

In ido? What else but giving a hint for Tramp do you mean there?

It does just that.

I cannot speak for company-mode, but I would be surprised if it changes
its behaviour depending on the value of `non-essential'.

No, it binds the variable, according to the particular documented meaning of `non-essential', expecting corresponding behavior from Tramp.

Ignoring that and never asking for password during completion is not what we discussed there.