Re: Continuous integration

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Continuous integration
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:14:58 -0400

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:46:40 +0100 (CET) Toon Claes <address@hidden> wrote:

TC> Some time ago Ted Zlatanov proposed to use GitLab to improve the
TC> development process:

TC> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00937.html

TC> GitLab could take care of running CI, because it runs CI when commits
TC> gets pushed to it.

Absolutely. I think the benefits reach beyond that--especially if a pull
request workflow could be set up. Right now it's "push into branch; ask
for comments" which is delightfully retro. Together with per-branch CI
(so the changes on the branch can be tested before they are merged, as
opposed to post-merge) this could result in a greatly improved developer
experience.

(Hydra is a good service, but it doesn't offer that level of integration
currently, and I think it would be a bit harder to set that up.)

TC> I know several people on this list are not familiar with
TC> GitLab/GitHub/BitBucket, that's why Ted asked
TC> address@hidden if it was possible to run a GitLab
TC> installation on FSF/GNU hardware, but I've never heard anything else
TC> from it.

TC> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg01133.html

Also note the recent discussion about why the Docker Hub web site's
Javascript usage made the Docker Hub service unacceptable. I hope we
don't waste time on discussing a GitLab installation if it doesn't fit
that specific requirement (since it runs a web server).

TC> I think it could be really interesting to give GitLab a try in the Emacs
TC> development workflow. And I am also willing to help to set this up.

Same here.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 13:16:39 +0100 Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

TN> (tangent) I tried to create GitLab account several times but it
TN> gave me a 422 error (w/o further explanation) each time.  What's
TN> the probem, i wonder?  My creds ain't good enough, i suppose...

Oh, you mean the GitLab hosted CI/CD accounts on gitlab.com. Toon and I
are proposing something different: a FSF/GNU hosted installation of the
GPL-ed GitLab software on local hardware.

Ted