Re: Manual suggestions for quit-restore documentation

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Manual suggestions for quit-restore documentation
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:03:52 +0100

> I just don't see how/where the `bury-or-kill' parameter affects the
> handling of the frame, I think it only affects the buffer. But I may
> have "fixed" it until it doesn't make sense :)

Isn't that via

(defun quit-restore-window (&optional window bury-or-kill)
           ;; Delete WINDOW if possible.
           (window--delete window nil (eq bury-or-kill 'kill)))

and

(defun window--delete (&optional window dedicated-only kill)
          (cond
           (kill
            (delete-frame frame))

or what am I missing?

> I added a line about 'same as the first element of `quit-restore', but
> it might be wrong.
>
> I didn't add anything new about the 'other symbol. I see it getting set
> in `display-buffer-record-window', but I don't see that it ever gets
> used.

I suppose it's used here

(defun quit-restore-window (&optional window bury-or-kill)
     ((and (listp (setq quad (nth 1 quit-restore)))
           (buffer-live-p (car quad))

and it's essential when the window was used for showing an "other"
buffer.

> +however, if it is the only one in its frame.  If @var{window} is the
> +only window on its frame and there are other frames on the frame's
> +terminal, the value of the optional argument @var{bury-or-kill}
> +determines how to proceed with the window.  If @var{bury-or-kill}
> +equals @code{kill}, the frame is deleted unconditionally.

Correct IMHO.  So what is still unclear about `bury-or-kill'?

> +possible to set it manually, using the following code when displaying
> +``buffer'' in ``window'':

Both `buffer' and `window' are arguments so I'd use var{} here.

> +The final use of @code{set-window-prev-buffers} ensures that a future
> +call to @code{quit-window} will delete the window altogether.
> +

I'd prefer something like "Setting @code{set-window-prev-buffers} _to
nil_ ensures that a future call to @code{quit-window} _can_ delete the
window altogether."

> +window showed another buffer before. The 'frame and 'window elements

I think we use `frame' and `window' instead of 'frame and 'window.

> +re-uses the window to display the buffer.

Would "reuses" be bad English?

Thanks for working on this, martin