Re: mouse-wheel-scroll

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mouse-wheel-scroll
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 17:37:21 +0300

> Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 14:50:49 +0900 (JST)
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Tak Kunihiro <address@hidden>
>
> >> My environment with one-click 75-lines is show below.
> >>  - Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX
> >>  - MacOS 10.9.5
> >>  - Logitech Control Center 3.9.0.
> >>    - Speed: Slow
> >>    - Acceleration: Middle
> >>
> >> Its wheel is similar to Logitech Performance MX mouse as described by
> >> Kaushal.  It seems that `one-click' on the device generates several
> >> `typical one-click’ considering velocity.
> >
> > Isn't it expected that such special mice need non-default
> > customizations of the related Emacs features?  IOW, why non-default
> > values that give good results for these mice would be good for the
> > rest of the users, _as_defaults_?
>
> (1) Mouse
>
> I did not notice if I am using special since that works well with
> other applications.

How much does it scroll for a single click with, for instance, a Web
browser or a word processor?

I'm saying that the acceleration setting is AFAIK not available with
other mice.

> Regardless of my understanding, it took 3 years to find how to teak.
> It is good to have the tips in Info to scroll less.

The information is already in the manual, but if you think it is not
detailed enough, we can certainly expand it.

> (2) Touchpad and Trackbar
>
> Using touchpad or trackbar on laptop computers, I think that defaults
> scroll too fast, especially by trackbar.  Don't you think so?

I will try that later.

> Laptop computers without mouse are common.  I wonder if unusable on
> laptop computers without mouse beats inconvenience on desktop
> computers with mouse.

If we can more-or-less reliably detect each situation, sure, adapting
Emacs to each one would be an improvement.  Does anyone know how to
detect them?

> No matter who has a priority, it is good to have the tips in Info for
> those who think Emacs scrolls too fast.

I agree.