Re: Change Tramp syntax

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Change Tramp syntax
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 19:00:27 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

Hi John,

> Changing from "/host:file" to "/-:host:file" seems like an unnecessary change
> in syntax -- when the first form is so easy to use -- but only because I don't
> understand the difficulties it causes. However, I imagine many users, who like
> me are long-familiar with the first form, will wonder why we had to move to a
> more complex syntax *when the first one has been working for years and years*.

It didn't work ever. User and host name completion was based on a
terrible heuristic. There have been bug reports, plus a many years long
dissense between Stefan and me about `non-essential'.

Enough reasons that I decided to solve it once and forever.

> How are people using the new Tramp to learn that "/-:" is replaced by "/"?
> Will "/host:file" just be broken for them, and they have to understand both
> (1) that it's a Tramp-related issue, and (2) how to find the answer in the
> Tramp manual or NEWS file?

There's no need to use "-". You could always use "ssh" instead, if this
annoys your eyes.

> If there are more people like me out there, relying on this syntax as heavily,
> I have a sense this is going to feel like a concession that does not benefit
> the user. Unless I'm mistaken, the user gains nothing from the change, but now
> has to remember to add "-:" to path names long since burned into finger
> memory.
>
> - Is there *any way* to retain ange-ftp syntax, maybe even as a hack that
>   rewrites /foo:bar into /-:foo:bar, and can be required from a compat module?

See the Tramp manual, Frequently Asked Questions section. It explains
several possibilities how to shorten the filename. Maybe it shall be
documented more prominently.

The other way back to the ange-ftp syntax I've mentioned in my
announcement: You are invited to implement a solution in Tramp :-)

I failed.

> - What is the user experience when ange-ftp paths are used, after this change
>   is made?
>
> Thanks,

Best regards, Michael.