Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 18:31:28 +0300

> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 11:21:44 -0400
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I've renamed the variable column-number-indicator-zero-based as
> suggested, though I'm wondering if we should say "display" instead of
> "indicator" to match the documentation.

The manual speaks of an indicator, so I think this is okay.  But I
don't pretend to be good with names, so if someone has a better name,
I hope they will speak up.

> I've set it to :type 'boolean in :group 'mode-line (and have made all
> your other proposed changes with one exception):
>
> > > I think it's best to have
> > > it in xdisp.c, where the feature is implemented, in which case you
> > > should add the necessary stuff to cus-start.el to allow its
> > > customization by Custom.
> >
> > I thought that since the rest of the lisp side was done there
> > (including the minor mode) that it was better to have it in the .el
> > file. Do you have a strong opinion?
>
> Looking around, it seems that many such customization variables are in
> simple.el already, and that there is a bias now towards putting code
> into the lisp side and not the C side, so for now, my new patch leaves
> it there.

Then I think it should be in bindings.el, not in simple.el, to at
least be in the same file as related code.

> +(defcustom column-number-indicator-zero-based t
> +  "When set to true, Column Number mode displays columns starting
> +from zero at the left margin of the window. Otherwise, displayed
> +column numbers start from one."
> +  :type 'boolean
> +  :group 'mode-line)

Please add a ':version' tag.