Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 09:24:12 -0600

  There's no Lisp_Object AFAIK to represent a file. So for
  BUFFER-OR-STRING what do I use to indicate a file?

  "file:///the/path" ; a special string format: URL format?

Certainly not this one -- such a string could of course _be_ the data to be treated.

  (file "/the/path") ; a nested list with a symbol?

I like this one best, I think.

  (insert-file-contents-literally "/the/path") ; a form, called in a temp
buffer?

Certainly it's powerful, but it clashes with lexical binding, and it's not clear (to me) how it's superior to the caller simply creating the temporary buffer themselves. (I seem to recall you were talking about protecting the data from Lisp inspection? ...But evalling whatever Lisp inside the buffer that holds the data, however temporarily, would of course be quite a hole in such a scheme.)

Davis

--
This product is sold by volume, not by mass. If it appears too dense or too sparse, it is because mass-energy conversion has occurred during shipping.