Re: make-thread with lambda form instead of function symbol

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: make-thread with lambda form instead of function symbol
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:22:19 -0700

Andrew Cohen <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be great to get the searches done concurrently. This is the
> last serious (IMHO) problem with gnus searches---the searching part can
> take a long time. The current implementation tries to collect everything
> to minimize connections to the backends (i.e. searching multiple groups
> on a single backend should use a single connection) but even imap
> searching gets to be a pain when several imap servers are involved.

Bah, this isn't quite working. Searching more than one IMAP server
causes weird results and/or hangs. Searching other backends, or one IMAP
server plus other backends, seems to work okay. I have a hunch that this
comes from the way Gnus backends share the nntp-server-buffer variable
and swap symbols around -- I think the processes might be stepping on
each others' toes from thread to thread. nnimap-wait-for-response loops
accept-process-output on a 0.01 second timeout, so I can imagine that
two or more threads could be fighting over the meaning of
nntp-server-buffer.

Anyway, I've gone down enough garden paths here. I'm going to leave
things set up for threading, but not actually use threads for now. Once
the rest of the stuff is in place there will be time to figure out
what's going wrong.

Eric