Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 23:36:18 +0300

> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:58:09 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Gnus us full of such problems because some Gnus contributors tried to
> fix problems with non-ASCII text without understanding what they are
> doing and how this stuff should work

Ouch, this sounds unfair, which is not what I meant.  So let me
elaborate a bit to explain myself.

Gnus bumped into issues with non-ASCII text when the core
functionality was still in diapers, and had quite a few bugs, both
design bugs and implementation bugs.  Gnus developers wanted to fix
those bugs, but instead of taking them up with core developers and
demanding that the problems be fixed in core, they worked around the
problems in Gnus application code.  The fact that Gnus was developed
with only a very lose coupling to Emacs didn't help.  Then those
workarounds were kept intact long after the core issues were fixed or
redesigned.  The result was what you describe.

IMO, none of this is relevant to the issue at hand, since we are
talking about core functionality to begin with.