Re: Language Servers and Emacs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Language Servers and Emacs
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 13:17:37 +0100

"Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden> writes:

>> So it seems likely that Clang will support the protocol long before
>> GCC does.  It might also have political implications if Emacs
>> implements the client side if Clang is the only server for C/C++.
>
> There are servers for many other languages too, this is not a C/C++
> only issue. (And I think GCC needs to gain this capability in any
> case, it appears that it is being rapidly adopted. There are now
> langserv implementations for dozens of languages -- Python, Java, PHP,
> Go, Rust, Swift, JavaScript, C#, Julia, Scala, and the list goes on,
> plus there are a bunch of IDEs adopting the protocol too, and support
> for the vim and Atom editors are coming.)
>
> Architecturally, this is certainly the right thing. One would
> generally far prefer to have the language implementation help the
> editor with parsing than have to re-implement parsing inside the
> editor.

Apologies for the zombie posting -- easter holidays and all.

It would be interesting to do a comparison with "nrepl" which is the
protocol that CIDER, the emacs package for clojure, uses. This is pretty
feature complete now and it would give an good side-by-side
comparison. I think that ENSIME (for Scala) has a protocol in there as
well.

I agree with you, having a standard to use is a very good thing.

Phil