Re: Before l10n, better practices for (message) ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Before l10n, better practices for (message) ?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 10:22:35 +0300

> From: Etienne Prud’homme <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 17:57:06 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Why not do this for every string that 'message' needs to display?
>
> I’m not sure to understand what you refer to every string?

I mean that 'message' should try to look up in the translation
registry every string it gets as its first argument, regardless of
whether it has text properties or not.

> > (let ((str "Hello %s World!")
> >       (arg "you"))
> >   (put-text-property 0 (length str) 'l10n 'hello-world str)
> >   (message str arg))
>
> Where message would try to fetch the ‘hello-world’ entry from the
> translations registry if the configured language is not English.

I'm asking why do we need to put the text properties at all.

Text properties on strings are a nuisance for long-living strings, as
some APIs remove them.