Re: compiled lisp file format (Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: compiled lisp file format (Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 14:09:14 -0700

Ken Raeburn wrote:
I think Guile is using whatever the native word size and architecture are.  If
we do that for Emacs, they’re not portable between platforms.

Sure, but we're talking about the format Emacs uses to save its state, not the format of .elc files. Currently Emacs saves its state as an executable file that in general cannot be moved from one GNU/Linux distribution to another even if they have the same architecture. Switching to Guile's platform-neutral approach would make Emacs's saved-state format more portable, not less.