Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quot

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 07:57:15 +0300

> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 15:39:57 -0400
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>, Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> (The language that prompted my initial email was unsurprisingly French, which
> uses ' between consecutive characters (it'd be a pain to have to type
> "l%'arrivée d%'un email", and I don't know anyone who types in the proper
> "l’arrivée d’un email", except when their text editor auto-corrects).

You should know that there are people who claim that using u+2019 in
"l’arrivée" is incorrect, and that one should write "lʼarrivée"
instead.  The rationale is that u+2019 is a punctuation character, so
it doesn't belong in the middle of a word.  There was a long
discussion about that on the Unicode list a couple of months ago.