Re: Silence two Clang warnings

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Silence two Clang warnings
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:56:56 -0700

On 06/15/2017 06:11 AM, Philipp Stephani wrote:
Would you accept introducing pragmas to temporarily disable the warnings in Clang (#pragma clang diagnostic push/ignore/pop), with an explanation why they are false positives in these cases?

That depends on what the warnings are and how useful they are elsewhere. These particular warnings do not seem to be useful for Emacs. For example, it is common practice in Emacs's C macros to parenthesize expressions to avoid operator-precedence confusion, and if Clang is complaining about the "extra" parentheses in the preprocessor output then that's clearly a warning that we should just shut off. Our goal is clarity and reliability, not Clang pacification.