Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Sébastien Le Callonnec
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 11:51:21 +0100

Hi Eli,

On 2017-06-18 03:38:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Only if you use setq-default to turn on the line numbers in all
> buffers, I presume?  You can always turn it off explicitly in that
> buffer (and any other buffer where you don't want it).

I used customize-option which I presume is akin to setting
`display-line-numbers' in all buffers, yes.

I now use something like this, which actually sounds closer to what you
had in mind:

(add-hook 'prog-mode-hook
          (lambda () (setq-local display-line-numbers t)))

> I wasn't sure no one will want numbers in the minibuffer, so I didn't
> forced them off there.  I'd like to hear more opinions before deciding
> on this.

If not using something like ido-vertical-mode, I would find that line
number confusing but also pointless in the minibuffer.  But I understand
you're building an “opt-in” feature, rather an “opt-out” one as provided
by `global-linum-mode' (widely recommended as a method to turn on line
numbering).

> Thanks.

Thank you,
Sébastien.