Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:21:32 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 17:25:44 -0400
>
> Whether or not it's representative doesn't really matter: the
> performance you see with nlinum is a real problem when you bump into it.
> [ IOW, I'm not here to defend nlinum ;-)  ]

Well, it's not about defending, it's about benchmarking the new code
relative to the old one.  I was worried that constantly counting lines
during redisplay might be a significant setback, and was relieved to
find out that wasn't the case.

> > The fact that the numbers are always displayed on the left is bad
> > enough; worse, the digits in the numbers are in reverse order.  E.g.,
> > visit TUTORIAL.he, then turn on linum-mode or nlinum-mode, and watch
> > the numbers closely.
>
> Duh, I had tried it, but indeed skipped the "watch the numbers closely"
> part.  My naive L2R background makes me think "this looks like
> a rendering bug"

It could be a rendering bug, indeed.  In general, how to render
bidirectional text in the margins is a dark corner, since it isn't
clear whether the bidi context of the buffer text is relevant or not.