Re: Touch events

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Touch events
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 12:56:17 -0400

On 2017-06-25 06:40, Alan Third wrote:
> So, anyway, I’ll try to get the gestures working in NS and at least
> one Free platform (probably GTK3 unless someone else fancies giving it
> a go), and then I’ll see where we can go from there.

Thanks for your work! This is a very exciting development.

One question: currently, Emacs doesn't expose mouse motion events.  The
code/docs say that it's because it generates too many events, but there are
legitimate uses for that (such as showing info in the echo area or the modeline
when the pointer is above a particular screen region).

The only trick I know of is to use show-help-function, which requires jumping
through a bunch of annoying hoops.  Maybe now is a good time to add an option
to propagate these events to lisp? Maybe there should be a
high-frequency-events list of symbols that includes which events should be
propagated to Lisp? One pour (add-to-list 'high-frequency-events 'mouse-motion)
to enable them, for example.

Cheers,
Clément.