Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b0042b7: Make CC Mode load cl-lib rather than c

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b0042b7: Make CC Mode load cl-lib rather than cl in Emacs 26.
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:31:50 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 17:44:04 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Hi Alan.

> >     Make CC Mode load cl-lib rather than cl in Emacs 26.

> Great.  Could you tell us why you go through all that trouble instead of
> just always using cl-lib (which has been tested to work in Emacsen as
> old as Emacs-21 and XEmacs-21.4)?

cl-lib doesn't exist in those older Emacsen, neither does it exist in
XEmacs.  So doing what you suggest isn't a sensible thing to do.

> That would make you free to use any cl-lib functions and macros
> without having to add matching c--* macros.

The macros are necessitated by, amongst other things, name changes in
functions, some of which have had traditionally approved names for
decades.  (I have a copy of the Lisp Machine Manual from the 1980s to
back this up.)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).