Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit

From: raman
Subject: Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 10:42:26 -0700

I use both vc and magit -- so this perspective below might help where
each of vc/magit win:

For simple vc tasks -- and that typically equates to many things one
traditionally did in all VC systems, vc-git is what I use --- examples:

1. Check-in  current file,
2. Diff current version against a given version etc.

Reason: These are all one-shot kbd commands starting with C-x v

Magit:

There are many things that Git lets you do that are at the power-user
end of the spectrum --- and magit actually makes those doable, whereas
the git commandline would never encourage  you to venture even close.

Examples:

1. Selectively commiting  diff hunks in a file with many changes

2. Selectively reverting specific diff hunks

3. Applying git patches

4. Examining past log entries -- especially commits with many files,

5. From (4) jumping to a given file/diff hunk

These above I dont even know where I'd start with vc -- they may well be
possible.

Bottom-line: When one is going to perform a bunch of git tasks, magit
wins; when one if focusing on writing code and using the vc system as a
helper that makes sure you dont lose work, pressing C-x v   to invoke
the vc keymap means you dont switch attention away from what you are
doing.

Also -- for users coming to Git, magit may have a slight win since the
magit buffer shows you a bunch of things you can do at a given point --
whereas with VC, you need to have been using Emacs/VC for a while, or at
least have read the info pages in order to know what is possible.