Re: extracting a zip archive via elisp (with no external executables)

From: Saulius Menkevičius
Subject: Re: extracting a zip archive via elisp (with no external executables)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2017 22:26:45 +0300

Am 09.07.2017 um 22:15 schrieb Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>:

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017, 2:59 PM Saulius Menkevičius <address@hidden> wrote:
The problem is those files come within a .zip file too.

 Kind of a chicken and egg scenario here for automatic code..

You need to extract those outside Emacs. One way is to install 7-zip (search for 7-zip Windows executables online).
--

Kaushal Modi

Not sure I expressed myself properly..

I am one of the maintainers of the C# package for emacs https://github.com/OmniSharp/omnisharp-emacs
For the package to work properly it needs to run language server, which

I have added a new interactive command omnisharp-install-server which
downloads and installs the server to ~/.emacs.d/.cache/omnisharp/server/<version> directory.
Thus aleviating the need for the user to navigate to web page, download, extract
and the configure package to point to the location where the server has been extracted.

For UNIX systems things are easy, I just download tarball and extract it with (call-process „tar“ .. „xz“..)

But on Windows things get tough, apparently.

Instructing the user to install 7-zip or something else manually kind of
invalidates the purpose of automatic installation. I want to keep this functionality
low-noise and avoid any involvement of the user. Which I can do on macOS & Linux
but I cannot find a way to do non-intrusively on Windows...

BR,
-Saulius