Re: In defense of VC [was: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: In defense of VC [was: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:12:28 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 15:59:04 +0700
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I think the default behaviour should be as so: if no files are marked,
> > and there are modified files other than the one that's being committed,
> > ask whether to commit the other files (if user is unsure, he can C-g and
> > investigate).
>
> If multiple files are modified, the “next action” could be to display
> the ‘vc-dir’ buffer for the current repository.

I'd encourage people to work on making the workflow (and thus the
"next action") customizable.  We could have several popular workflows
for the user to choose, for example.  We could even have a facility
whereby the user specifies the sequence of the actions in her
workflow.

I think "C-x v v" is a powerful concept, and if done right, is a great
time saver, and also prevents errors.  We shouldn't give up on that so
easily.