Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 19:32:04 -0400

  > That's a misleading way to think about it. If every major facility on a
  > machine was nonchalant about some random once-per-week notification, you
  > could potentially have several to hundreds per day.

There is no reason to worry about an implausible extrapolation of what
we are planning.

It's not just unlikely, it's mathematically implausible because
it assumes the person uses thousands of major facilities.
I doubt I use even a hundred.

Anyway, it will be easy to turn off these notices if you want to.
So the problem is imaginary.

In fact, people don't mind notices so much anyway.

Some programs offer hints each time they start, and you have to click
to make them go away.  For instance, Audacity does this.  It offers
a way to turn them off, but I never bothered to do that.

I don't think this issue amounts to a real problem.

--
Dr Richard Stallman