Re: How to block tests on hydra

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: How to block tests on hydra
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 09:20:44 +0200

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Noam,

>> recent changes of Tramp block the test on hydra in
>> gnu:emacs-trunk:coverage. I've instrumented test/Makefile.in in order to
>> see the output of tramp-tests, and it looks like the blocking test is
>> tramp-test36-asynchronous-requests. It works properly when running locally.
>
> I'm surprised it does anything at all actually, isn't the (add-to-list
> 'buffers ...) call a bug? Should be using `push' I think.
>
> -              (add-to-list 'buffers (generate-new-buffer "foo")))
> +              (push (generate-new-buffer "foo") buffers))

Why that? `add-to-list' is as good as `push' in this case. I haven't seen a
problem with that. If you run in edebug, you'll see that `buffers' keeps
all process buffers.

> I noticed you added a with-timeout on that test, but it doesn't seem
> to be working.

The timeout is a self-defense. And it doesn't trigger at least for me,
because (I believe) the test case is working properly now, and finishes
in time.

> By the way, I hit the "`tramp-test36-asynchronous-requests' timed out"
> message when running locally in an -O0 build, although it succeeds
> with an -O2 build. Maybe I just have a weak CPU.

How does it make a difference? Is an asynchronous process to be intended
to run in another thread, on another processor?

Best regards, Michael.