Re: Native line numbers, final testing

From: Alex
Subject: Re: Native line numbers, final testing
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:22:51 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Alex <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 20:53:17 -0600

>> > You can always customize the face.
>>
>> Yes, but the default should be sensible. At least on the systems I use,
>> in emacs -Q, "Monospace" matches up with my default font.
>
> It should be sensible, I agree.  But "sensible" doesn't necessarily
> mean identical to the default face's font.

Sure, but I maintain in this case that it does mean identical to the
default face's font. It ensures, usually, proper size and a non-clashing
style. If someone customizes their default face, then they could
customize the line-number face similarly. Everyone else shouldn't have
to do any customization.

>> Is there a good reason why the fixed-pitch* faces don't inherit from
>> default?
>
> How are fixed-pitch* different from any other face that doesn't
> inherit from default?

Going into this discussion, I figured that fixed-pitch* would be exactly
like default, except enforcing, well, fixed-pitch; similarly for
variable-pitch. If I customized the frame's default face to use, e.g.,
variable-pitch, then I would expect that "C-x +" increases its text
size, like default.

Actually, it seems to do that normally. Evaluate this in a buffer
without font-lock-mode:

(insert (propertize "hello there!" 'face 'fixed-pitch))

This text increases along with the default face with "C-x +". Why does
the same not apply to the line-number face?