Re: Please explain the FSF copyright assignment thing

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Please explain the FSF copyright assignment thing
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 12:12:06 -0700

On 07/13/2017 11:48 AM, Filipe Silva wrote:
What harm will descent upon us all if an official component of emacs is distributed which hasn't had it's copyright assigned to FSF?

I can easily imagine scenarios where an uncooperative or unresponsive contributor would make GPL enforcement significantly more difficult for the FSF. These enforcement actions (which mostly are unpublicized) have nonzero legal cost, and increasing their cost would not be a good thing. Projects that don't care about enforcement, or care about it less, don't need to worry about this sort of thing. The GNU Project cares about enforcement.

I should mention that I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.