Re: .deps/ and .gitignore?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: .deps/ and .gitignore?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:44:56 +0300

> Cc: Emacs Development <address@hidden>
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 00:08:34 -0700
>
> Was the attached patch actually needed?

"git status" suddenly started to show that directory as "??"
yesterday, so I presumed it was some new feature of Gnulib, not yet
reflected in .gitignore.

> As far as I can see, Emacs builds should no longer generate or use
> .deps subdirectories (as of March 17, roughly - when we switched
> away from Automake).

Yes, but I see now that you only removed .deps from .gitignore 2 days
ago, which would explain why I suddenly started seeing it.  May I
suggest that in the future you accompany that by posting here an
advice to make sure the directory is removed?

> If you have an old .deps subdirectory lying
> around from March-or-earlier builds, you should just remove it.

OK, done, and the commit reverted.

Thanks.