Re: Disabling imenu default of thing-at-point

From: Felipe Ochoa
Subject: Re: Disabling imenu default of thing-at-point
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 10:35:20 +0200

I realize this thread is probably hard to follow, so wanted to offer a brief recap (Drew, please correct me where necessary).

Core issue:
Felipe> imenu currently uses (thing-at-point 'symbol) to offer a default in completing read. It's very helpful when symbol at point is one of the options, but not really useful when not. It's particularly inconvenient when using ido for completing read

Possible workaround:
Noam suggested I use C-j to skip the default automagic in ido, but this does not work because of some imenu trickery (plus I think imenu is the place to fix this)

Drew and I had a back-and-forth about whether the hypothetical fix belongs in ido/completing-read or imenu. The conclusion was it would belong in imenu, but he's still unclear whether a fix is necessary at all.

Drew> But is that what was intended for the Imenu code? Does it make no sense (in this case) for a user to pick the default value if it is not one of the completion candidates?