Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 03:49:11 -0400

> Huh, interesting.  Is that function completely deprecated, or still
> usable for class-allocated slots?

It's fine for class-allocated slots.

>> - ebdb-vm and ebdb-mu4e will break the compilation of the package if the
>> user doesn't have VM and mu4e installed.
>> The appended patch tries to fix those two, but please take a look at it
>> to make sure it still works correctly (especially the ebdb-vm part is
>> quick&dirty, leaving a lot of warnings when VM is not installed, some
>> of them may be real bugs).
> I thought about extracting those two into separate packages, and
> probably should have done that.

That's one way to solve the problem, but it's not necessary.

> Actually, I do know: vm and mu4e aren't installable via the package
> manager.  If I make separate packages, and put a package-requires header
> in them for vm and mu4e, will package.el be satisfied if a user has
> installed them via other means? Or will it bark?

It will bark :-(

> Another option would be a boatload of (autoload 'function "ext:vm")
> statements.

For ebdb-mu4e, I think the patch I send leads to correct results, so
I think it's an acceptable solution.

For VM, I'm not sure if the result is correct.  It basically depends on
whether part of the VM code are needed during compilation (most common
case is if your code uses VM macros).

Fixing the warnings is easy enough (rather than autoloads, you can use
`declare-function`).

        Stefan