Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 18:18:36 +0100

    > +1 - what Yuri said.

    > And this is not just about new users.  Such an interrogation is
    > not friendly for new or old users, even if old users might have a
    > better chance of understanding what is meant.

    > There must be a way to make package.el behavior failsafe, simple,
    > and without gotchas, for users.  That should be the goal.

    > Whether that can be done in a backward-compatible way is, IMHO,
    > less important than making sure the new behavior is solid.

    > Using the package system should be opt-in, and it should be simple
    > and unintimidating.

    > (Just one opinion.)

Emacs code browser (ecb) copies the old init file to
~/.emacs.before_ecb_2.40 before inserting an option into the original
~/.emacs. The user is told all this before he is asked to ok it. It's
all straightforward and transparent, even to a newbie like me.

Could not something similar be used in the case of package.el?

Colin Baxter
address@hidden
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8