Re: [ELPA] New package: Auto Correct Mode

From: Ian Dunn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: Auto Correct Mode
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 20:29:56 -0400

    JW> How does this compare to flyspell-auto-correct-word, or a setting such
    JW> as:

    JW>   (add-hook 'flyspell-incorrect-hook
    JW> 'flyspell-maybe-correct-transposition)

    JW> Maybe what you're offering is already possible, or can be integrated
    JW> directly with flyspell using a customization?

I don't believe so.

It's similar to repeatedly using flyspell-auto-correct-word and setting
flyspell-abbrev-p to t, but with two differences (that I can see):

1. auto-correct-mode uses its own abbrev table, enabled using
`abbrev-minor-mode-table-alist'.  This means it doesn't clutter the user's
global abbrev table, and auto-correct can be disabled by disabling the minor
mode.  Flyspell only allows the use of the global or local abbrev tables.

2. auto-correct gives a predicate that can provide further control over when to
expand auto-corrections.  My favorite example is my abbrev that turns "i" to
"I".  I keep auto-correct enabled in all modes, but prog-mode has this
predicate set to only auto-correct when inside a comment or string.  If "i"
turned to I every time I typed it in C++ (which, so far as I can tell, would
happen with flyspell's corrections), I'd go mad.  However, it has proved
nothing but useful for this correction to happen when I'm writing prose or
documentation.

So as I said, the same functionality doesn't appear to be possible with
flyspell at the moment.

--
Ian Dunn