Re: Suspicious warning in W64 build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suspicious warning in W64 build
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 13:42:54 +0300

> From: Richard Copley <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 10:36:28 +0100
> Cc: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>, Emacs Development <address@hidden>
>
> >> That conversion happens often, e.g., in normalize_filename.
> >
> > What conversion is that?
>
> The down-casing of the drive letter in a native or MSYS file name.

But find-file-noselect insists on comparing file names as simple
case-sensitive strings.  Which will fail in a few more interesting
cases.

> > For starters, can you or Angelo tell where did that upper-case "C:/"
> > originate from?
>
> You can see the warnings, for example, by invoking configure by
> absolute file name with an upper-case drive letter before running make.
>
> Usually one uses a relative path and the problem can't arise.
>
> I used to see this when I used a complicated Perl script to build
> Emacs. The upper-case drive letter was just an artifact. It was
> derived from the current directory of the calling command prompt.

So you are saying that upper-case C:/ comes from the user?  And if the
user configures Emacs with a lower-case c:/, the problem will never
happen?  If so, would binding find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings
non-nil in autoload-find-generated-file solve the problem?  (This is
less drastic than invoking find-file-noselect with a non-nil 2nd
argument.)

> > Also, are there other places in the build process
> > that display file names with the upper-case drive letter?
>
> Yes. Transcript attached.

I see a lot of warnings in that log.  It's a pity no one reports them,
let alone works on fixing them.  (I don't see any of them on my
systems.)

Thanks.