Re: JSON/YAML/TOML/etc. parsing performance

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: JSON/YAML/TOML/etc. parsing performance
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 16:22:12 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> schrieb am Mo., 18. Sep. 2017 um 17:51 Uhr:
> > I thought we wanted to import the library into Emacs proper, didn't
> > we?  What is the purpose of providing such a core functionality as an
> > optional feature?
>
> I referred to embeddable code; however, there is a wide variety from
> embedded to big featureful libraries for JSON.  Jansson is one of those
> featureful libraries, to which we should link instead of assimilating.

I'm not sure I follow: are you agreeing with me or are you
disagreeing?  If the latter, can you elaborate why you think we
shouldn't add a JSON library to the Emacs sources, like with do with
lwlib?

 I can't find the sources now, but I dimly remember that adding the code directly to the Emacs tree would require copyright transfer to the FSF, and we only make an exception to this for lwlib because it's not otherwise maintained.

A possible middle ground would be to link it statically, then only the machines that run Emacs builds would require it.