Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 21:34:01 +0300

> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:09:45 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > > Can we please have a user option in Emacs 26 to disable curly quote
> > > translation in messages and doc strings?
>
> > I thought we already had that: text-quoting-style.
>
> It is not a user option, and it is not documented in the Emacs manual,
> with the result that anybody who needs it has a far harder time finding
> it than she should.
>
> It is also rather complicated, and lacks a prime property that such a
> variable should have, namely that nil mean "no translation".

That's okay, because there's still controversy regarding the need for
users to tweak this variable.  Some of use think most users will never
need it (you, obviously, disagree).  Therefore, I think we should
first see how many users actually ask about something like that, and
if it turns out many do, we can make the option more visible and
user-friendly.

So for now, I think we should leave things as they are and wait for
feedback.