Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 22:35:44 +0300

> Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 18:41:59 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> I thought the issues through carefully before investing time and energy
> in it.

So did I.  And I'm sure John did as well.  Let's please assume that
everybody involved in this discussion have their positions carefully
thought through.

> You talk about backward incompatibility.  Well, backward incomptibility
> is only bad when it inconveniences users, which is most of the time.  It
> isn't the case here.  Neither of you, nor Paul has suggested a scenario
> in which a user might suffer.  I put it to you that there aren't any,
> particularly considering how text-quoting-style was kept away from
> ordinary users in Emacs 25.

Why do we need a scenario?  This variable existed in its current
semantics since Emacs 25.1, released more than a year ago.  It was
introduced on the-then master a year before that.  Which means it's in
use for more than 2 years now.  Changing its semantics in incompatible
ways at this time would need a _very_ good reason.  IOW, it's _you_
who needs to provide us with convincing scenarios where the current
values cause serious trouble, so serious that backward-incompatible
change is a must.

> So, I'm asking you once more to consider very carefully the issues
> behind my proposed amendment.  For my part, I undertake to accept your
> decision on the matter without further argument, and to change the code
> in scratch/customize-quotes to the simple change you were expecting,
> should you say no again.

Please do, and thanks.