Re: Some observations about --with-cairo

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Some observations about --with-cairo
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 19:13:09 +0900

> On 2017-06-04 22:03, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Well, just out of interest, I compiled emacs using --with-cairo.
>> Redraws are unusably slow and partly incorrect and font display is
>> pretty bad.
>>
>> That being said, M-: (with-temp-file "/tmp/frame.pdf" (insert
>> (x-export-frames))) as a screen dump is, well, interesting.  I
>> append a resulting file from using this in an Info buffer with
>> images.

> Beautiful!  Is anyone currently working on improving Cairo support?
> Is there a roadmap / task list somewhere?

Roughly speaking, the current cairo code is based on my old code in

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-04/msg00096.html

and Jan's double-buffering code that draws into an image surface.  I
think a possible next step would be to see if one can drop the latter
and use Daniel's Xdbe code instead as in the Xlib version.  If this
works, then it will make the cairo code simpler and more maintainable.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden