Re: C warning in MSYS2 build

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: C warning in MSYS2 build
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 11:16:26 -0400

  > The GCC bug is not fixed yet. etags.c confused GCC by using an
  > assignment inside an 'if' expression, which is contrary to the usual GNU
  > style, and last year I worked around the GCC bug by changing etags.c to
  > use a cleaner style. I notice that indent.c also has an assignment
  > inside an 'if' expression that is relevant to these warnings. Richard,
  > does it help to recode indent.c to use the usual GNU style, as in the
  > attached patch?

I don't understand the question.

An assignment inside an if condition is somewhat ugly,
and moving the assignment out of the code is in general
a good thing for clarity.  So by all means do it.
If that works around a GCC bug, that is good -- but the bug
still needs to be fixed.

--
Dr Richard Stallman