Re: preferring https: to http: in commit messages for gnu.org

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: preferring https: to http: in commit messages for gnu.org
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:25:09 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 00:14:04 -0700
>
> I installed the attached into the default Git commit hooks to help remind us
> (and particularly to remind me, since I write a fair number of these things)
> that https: should be preferred to http: in commit-message URLs that point to
> gnu.org or fsf.org web sites.
>
> +  {
> +    if (match($0, unsafe_gnu_url)) {
> +      url = substr($0, RSTART, RLENGTH)
> +      printf "Use https: URL instead of '\''%s'\'' in commit message\n", url
> +      status = 1

"status = 1" means the commit will be rejected, am I right?  If so,
please don't fail commits because of that, it's too radical.  E.g., I
frequently cite URLs in commit messages, copying them from the
browser, and this hook change will now require me to look for
alternative URLs, if they exist, re-commit, perhaps find out that
someone already pushed to upstream, then pull, push again...  It's an
annoyance.  I cannot be responsible for every useful URL out there.

Thanks.