Re: INSTALL.W64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: INSTALL.W64
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 22:18:56 +0200

> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 12:46:27 -0700
>
> > ====
> > Note also that we need to disable Imagemagick because Emacs does not yet
> > support it on Windows.
> > ====
> >
> > I have not actually being doing this, but I have been using
> > --without-dbus.
>
> I'm not sure of the full consequences of either of those.

Both are not supported on Windows, and both switches should be used if
the user has Imagemagick and DBus libraries installed n their system.

> > I'm also a little dubious about "INSTALL" -- I use the proceedure in
> > INSTALL.W64 with a few path changes. Do we really need two INSTALL
> > docs?
>
> I believe nt/INSTALL is the process Eli and others use to build using
> the older 32 bit MSYS. I have not tested it. We could perhaps rename to
> INSTALL.W32, but that would be misleading since MSYS2 can build 32 bit
> executables. Better would be to rename both, to INSTALL.MSYS and
> INSTALL.MSYS2, and perhaps add a paragraph at the start making it
> clearer what the difference is.

There is already such a paragraph at the beginning of each file.

> Or we could merge the two, with "if/then" in appropriate places.

I don't think this would be a good idea.  The instructions are already
complex enough; merging them would make the risk of confusion and
errors much higher.