Re: Three Flymake backends Was Re: Two issues with the new Flymake

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Three Flymake backends Was Re: Two issues with the new Flymake
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 11:08:06 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> Probably not. Anyway, I didn't see any difference with '--cache false'.

Then probably a good idea to do what flycheck does because gremlins.

>> Hey I didn't spend more than 5 minutes with it :-)
>
> However long, I'm glad you did. Now, the version I've sent is pretty
> much working.
>
> Will you push it to emacs-26?

I think you should test it a tiny bit more and then you push it :-)

> Where will it live?

ruby-mode.el so it at least locally shares some code with ruby-flymake.

> How/when will Flymake choose between rubocop-flymake and ruby-flymake?

Flymake can use both at the same time. Just

   (add-hook 'flymake-diagnostic-functions 'ruby-flymake nil t)
   (add-hook 'flymake-diagnostic-functions 'rubocop-flymake nil t)

The user can remove-hook if he wants to.

If rubocop does everything "ruby -w" does and more, then maybe a single
backend. One that uses a ruby-flymake-use-rubocop-if-available
defcustom, and then checks for (executable-find "rubocop").