Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)

From: Matthias Dahl
Subject: Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 15:53:10 +0100

Hello Stefan...

On 07/11/17 18:23, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> BTW, we could count the number of (non-empty) "chunks" rather than the
> number of bytes.

Thanks for the suggestion. In this case, I think just counting the bytes
keeps things simple and makes this value easier to understand when doing
a debugging session that benefits from this information.

Also, counting the chunks wouldn't really improve the situation much, if
I am not mistaken? It would just take a bit longer for a wrap-around to
happen.

>>  {
>>    got_some_output = 1;
>>    break;
>>  }
>
> Please try to use `true' and `false' for boolean values (there's still
> a lot of code in src/*.c which uses 0 and 1, admittedly, but this should
> slowly disappear over time).

That is actually legacy code right there. I did not introduce that
variable nor is it a boolean. Actually it is a integer in disguise that
stores how many bytes have been read. ;-) It is very unfortunate naming,
I agree.

The revised patches don't set it to 1 but do calculate the proper value,
so this is a non-issue now.

Thanks for taking the time and have a nice weekend,
Matthias

--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu