Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)

From: Matthias Dahl
Subject: Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 16:05:10 +0100

Hello Eli...

On 13/11/17 17:10, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> We could reset the value to zero once it's consumed, in which case a
> narrower type would be okay.  The price is a slight complication of
> the logic.

That would necessarily mean we need another variable to track how many
active waits we have since we can only zero the bytes read counter when
no other waits are active since they depend on that value as well. This
brings us back to the in-flight bytes read solution we discussed earlier
in this thread.

I don't see any real gain by complicating this further. It will not be
any better in detecting if any read backs have been processed. And the
memory saved is pretty much completely negligible except if there were a
huge amount of active processes floating around -- which usually there
are definitely not.

OTOH, it is more complicated and thus more prone to bugs and not as easy
to understand. And the metric is also not as useful...

> Maybe make the comment shorter by just saying that a wrap-around could
> happen there in case of overflow.

Ok. I will update that with the next revision.

So long,
Matthias

--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu