Re: windows installer

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:01:21 +0000

Jostein Kjønigsen <address@hidden> writes:
> Right now I can see there's quite a lot of bike-shedding about just what
> a portable installer **is**, and what it should **do**. My impression
> was that there's a *standard definition, *established *conventions* and
> that this really *not *being a matter open for debate? But I may be
> wrong and  as such I guess *some** *discussion is good.
> Right now though there's so much discussion about the portable installer
> to the point that I can't find any other discussion about the main
> installer at all.

The "portable" installer is a very clear thing I have in my mind; I
would like to add it to the PortableApp.com system which is cute and
because it I use it to provide myself with some tools on a shared "h"
drive. Currently, I do Emacs and the JDK by hand. Would be nice to
reduce this by one.

Its also NSIS based (as it the "main" installer). It shouldn't be to
much work.

> So could we all please focus on getting the main, normal Windows-
> installer landed before detouring into how we want the portable
> installer to differ and how to best achieve that?
> (And once again: Stellar work Phillip! Really appreciated!)

"we all" in the sense of me?

Anyway, the latest "snapshot" of the installer is now on the pretest
site. Changes since last time:

 - Rebranded
 - Some changes to the file names including dated snapshots (only for
   snapshots, of course)
 - "Program Files" default install (which means a root install).

and what ever random changes have hit master since the last time.

https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-27/

I've also got the build working on a cloud based machine as opposed to
the machine I use for watching TV on. This should make snapshots easier
for me to build (although, incidentally, following previous discussions,
two full builds of Emacs, and generation of two zips and the installer
takes about 8 hours).

Does Emacs still store the build machine anywhere in the binaries that
it produces? Currently, the windows build machine is on my own private
network, but if I shift it to the cloud, it's going to be with public
IP; it makes no sense to advertise this.

Phil