Re: automake's .el support vs. recent loss of byte-compile-dest-file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: automake's .el support vs. recent loss of byte-compile-dest-file
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:34:29 +0200

On November 23, 2017 7:02:07 AM GMT+02:00, Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > Jim Meyering wrote:
> >>
> >> Do you think it's worth supporting pre-23 emacs?
> >

> > Ha! We just had a thread discussing this, where I wrote:
> >
> >> currently I would say that Emacs 23.1 is the oldest Emacs we
> currently
> >> need to worry about
> >
> > For details as to why, please see:
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2017-11/msg00500.html
>
> Thanks.
> Good to know the automake fix will be small.
>
> However, bear in mind that once that May change makes it into an emacs
> release, automake-generated Makefile.in files will be broken in that
> respect.

This incompatible change is not in NEWS.  We announced the function
as obsolete in Emacs 23.2, but evidently Automake didn't take notice.
So I'd rather we restored that functionality, perhaps with some
annoying warning to encourage Automake to get their act together
sooner rather than later.  Breaking all the Makefile.in files out there
doesn't sound TRT to me.

Comments?