Re: mouse-drag-and-drop-region

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mouse-drag-and-drop-region
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 11:19:20 +0200

> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 10:02:08 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  >> Actually, this boils down to marking `track-mouse' obsolete in a not so
>  >> distant future.
>  >
>  > If we do, what will replace it?
>
> Something based on the transient keymap paradigm.

Obsoleting such a veteran feature needs a very good reason, because it
causes annoyances across the community, as it's most probably is used
in a lot of places outside of the Emacs tree.  If the only reason we
have is that there are some disadvantages in some corner cases, it's
not enough to obsolete the form, IMO.

> And I also don't understand whether an unprotected (re-)setting of
> `track-mouse' is safe wrt redisplay but maybe you can clarify that.

Why would it be unsafe wrt redisplay?